Monday, June 21, 2010

The Luxury of knitting

I have always found that creating is cathartic, it allows a balance to the hum drum and the demand of life. It affords a time out from the mundane and I think, if I was unable to create I would most likely go loopy.
I have been known to collect up the fallen sticks from Jacaranda trees and begin to weave with these, small baskets and little woven treasures. This has been a time of stress or boredom and nothing on hand to do. I actually get stressed not having something to do, something to work on at all times. We never know when we will have some down time or waiting time and this is even more true when the kids are young. I have knitted many a garment sitting in the car waiting for children to finish dance lessons, guitar lessons, and a variety of sport.

I often go away with more crafty raw material or WIP than clothes - I find this perfectly normal. And if I don't have a project started and well under way before I leave on a trip then I am anxious to get that done as a priority. I have been known to hold up an outing by racing about the house finding the correct size needles.
After many years of knitting I have come to appreciate the joy of a really nice yarn and some lovely knitting needles, some spoil yourself drop dead gorgeous stitch markers and a really nice pattern and a good reason to knit. What do I mean by a good reason to knit (who needs a reason you may be shouting). My reason to knit is to make something lovely for my daughter, something unusual and unique that no one else she knows will have. It makes every stitch, every row and every minute a pure pleasure, enhancing the experience ten fold for me.

4 comments:

janet said...

I have always said that doing something creative has saved my sanity, lol. I get very crabby and impatient if I have to wait and do not have something to do. I too have knit many items while sitting in the car and waiting for my kids when they were young. And I thought I was the only one who got stressed if I did not have a project to take with me to work on in case of waiting time! I am glad I'm not alone:)

Tracey said...

Thanks for your post :) I understand how you feel about appreciating the joy of really nice yarn and lovely knitting needles, etc. When you are really passionate about what you do, having quality knitting supplies makes all the difference.

Anonymous said...

Yoo hoo! I can comment!

Roz Creates said...

No, your never alone when you knit, lol. And like me if your creative you always take every opportunity to make something, thanks for your comments
cheers
Roz