Monday, August 16, 2010

Home and into the dye pot

Bambaroo - Overdyed and it worked brilliantly

Just look at the lustre


Killara - Green and gorgeous
1970's Geelong


Soft and drapey, yummo

I had a need to buy some silk and hand dye this, so while I was at it I decided to dye a couple of other skiens I had lying around since I first started at The Yarn Workshop, a skien of Killara, a lovely silk, wool blend, it dyes absolutely beautifully with lustre and depth.

I had to overdye a skien of Bambaroo that I was not happy with, so mixed up a bit of sky blue and a new colour I had just purchased, magenta, the result was a nice light steel grey/blue. This should now work with the other Bambaroo blue skein that I have as I was thinking of some fair isle for this yarn, maybe fair isle socks.

I had a skien from Yarn Workshop that was taken from a cone of Geelong that was dirty and therefore not saleable, yay, Roz get's to play with some more wonderful yarn. It is a huge bonus that Ingrid is so very fussy about what goes out the door as far as quality and quantity go, she will only sell the very best and her quality control is very high. So for me it was a simple matter of washing the skien, and deciding what I might like to create, as I had the magenta mix left over from the previous yarn dip, I thought I would use this, but leave some yarn out to get a bit of variation in the yarn. The result is very 1970's looking in that is goes purple, blue, light purple, pink then purple again. What fun and all from the same dye pot. I achieved it by dipping the yarn in at different times throughout the dyeing process and also allowing the colour to seep up and into the fibres, (the pink colour). Every experiment is fun and results in something unique, I must admit I am rather smitten with hand dyeing fibres.

Oh and the silk, it dyed up beautifully and has now been partially spun into a lovely fine thread for plying. Watch this space for future yarns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well done on the dyeing - you have been missed around here!