Friday, July 09, 2010

Spinning again

Mention spinning these days and everyone assumes your taking that bike class at gym.
No not this little black duck, spinning to me means relaxation.......................
It is total Zen, maybe even more so than knitting is. If you haven't tried spinning yarn I highly recommend it, it's not hard, in fact the best yarn is the beginners yarn because it always comes out lovely and uneven and very interesting.
The fibre I was spinning up in Port, Yes I took my spinning wheel. (It is the Ashford Traveller and fairly portable). Is the lovely Merino, silk blend from Ashford that I purchased from Virginia Farm with my added stash of gorgeous bunny fibre from Charlotte's New Zealand trip. I wish I could let you feel this spun yarn, it is so lovely. I have plyed it two strands together and have yet to work out the wpi's but will do soon. For my first endeavour back into spinning I am really pleased with the result.


The juxtaposition of the modern (stark) apartment with the olde worlde craft of spinning. And it was so much warmer up there than back here in Sydney.





And the tunic, going great guns, really loving knitting in this yarn, Grafton from Yarn Workshop, I am already thinking of another colour way and perhaps tweak the pattern a bit.
I have a little more length to add and then go back pick up the stitches on the arm holes and do a couple of rounds to finish these off. I am really loving the top down method of knitting these seamless garments, my pet hate is sewing up the seams. I found a book in Port on top down knitting but the patterns were so basic, bland and boring. I think this one has spoilt me a bit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It looks lovely - both the spinning and the knitting.