Sunday, November 25, 2007

ANTIQUE QUILTS

antique half square triangle





I have a few old quilts lying around the house, purchased on ebay a couple of years ago I attempted to get the best that I could afford and some that were interesting as well, I did manage to do quiet well in the 1950's era quilts and have three that I use daily and 1 that needs some repair.

My favourite is a stunning half square triangle quilt top done in some lovely conversation prints and some charming indigo's and reds, this has to be quilted so I am saving this one for later.

I also have a few blocks from the civil war period, from Dixie, these were from a top that was never quilted and are a similar pattern to the carolina lilly but is called batchelors block due to a small variation, some of the fabric had blown or shattered and I carefully repaired this by sewing (applique) fabric of similar era (reproductions) over the top. I have hand quilted it in a simple design and will finish it as a small wall hanging to do it justice.