Monday, March 16, 2009

QUILTS AND MORE QUILTS





I am working on a gorgeous quilt from Better Homes Quilt magazine, it is a simple snow block quilt and I have made it true to the original in lots of lovely repro shirtings, (from a pack I brought years ago in Berrima) and many of my old blues, browns, reds, pinks, creams and mustards in my stash.


I have purchased from work some additional fabrics (can not help myself) and raided my friends fabrics she was sending of to charity quilts. I only needed a small 4" of each and it was fun to see what I could find that would work for that specific project.

Try this link for a free snow ball block pattern, supper easy and very effective.

http://www.straw.com/quilting/articles/snowball.html


ABOUT THAT SEWING ROOM

What is the perfect craft/sewing room? I am still seeking the answer to that one. I love to see other people's works space and to scour the web for ideas and images that appeal.

I know that I want/need space for the quilt frame, set at full length it is over 120 long and you need at least 60 in width as you need to be able to walk around the frame so that you can access all areas. Putting the quilt on the frame and getting around it, etc.








An ideal work room would have lots of good natural light, and in addition some great overhead lighting for dull days or late night working. For me air conditioning is a must, I just can not stand the humid summers in Sydney, YAK. It would be a little icebox but I know I work well under those conditions. I would use an oil heater in winter.

Sewing

I would have allocated areas for each discipline, a space for sewing, cutting and ironing. A wall for pinning blocks. And baskets with WIPS, class work or new ideas.




Jewelry making and chain maille

A space for jewellry making, soldering and tools and chain maille work and supplies. This means good access to power points.

Knitting and fibre art, felting

Yet another space for knitting, maybe even a nice comfy chair in a corner for this and time out for reading as well, with bookshelf's for special books of inspiration. Could I also find room for the laptop on a small table? And I would need my over head light as this would more than likely be the place I would sit to hand sew as well.

Bear making

An allotted area for bear making, I don't do this as much and it combines usage of the machine but I would need an area to store the mohair and other supplies and a work space as it can be messy. Maybe some more shelves specifically for this near the sitting chair. (There is a lot of hand work in bear making).

Machine Embroidery

In addition I need a space for the embroidery machine and it's associated equipment, which includes the laptop.

Blogging and writing

The laptop would be in use for writing so needs to be accessible for double duty. (Triple if you include blogging).

Mixed media and fibre art
If I had a really big space, I would also get the knitting machine out of storage and set this up.
I would put the spinning wheel in a corner somewhere too. A sink with hot water for wet felting
space to store the spinning paraphernalia. And perhaps a dedicated table as the water would get into other vital things like sewing machines if I only had one table.

Storage
But when I fine tune all this and really assess it I really need a lot of storage.

I love looking at the magazine "Studio" for ideas, and also "Where women create" it is just mind blowing some of the spaces these lucky women own. I am so jealous but as this is such a wasted exercise to be jealous I would rather put that energy into achieving my goal.