Thursday, March 19, 2009

Work and inspiration


As a teacher I am constantly looking for inspiration for class projects. I am lucky to have some really lovely ladies in my two classes and they are all very easy going about what they do.


Very often it is at their discretion as to what they make, at times having birthdays, weddings or other specific gifts to make and this is an easy area to work with as the ideas flow and the saying that two heads are better than one is true as we bounce ideas off each other and with a few nice books and or magazines we can come up with something really nice and just that little bit original while still remaining achievable.


While bags and small projects are still in demand, the way that they are put together and using new or different fabrics or a new way of pieceing or applique is always something that I aim to provide. While it is not possible to provide a new project every week, the girls continue to request projects or crafts that they would like to try and I am always ready to accomodate.


Being a flexible teacher means that students can keep coming to class and looking forward to leaning something new. Or can ask for help on their own project. And I think one of the biggest service I can offer is that of assisting with the basting of a large quilt, this has to be the worse job as far as I am concerned. So putting two large cutting tables (Horn Cabinets) together and getting a quilt basted in a class session with others pitching in to help pin - is to me worth every penny of the class fee.


What are your thoughts on class projects and ideas and inspiration?