Friday, April 24, 2009

Lots of lovely ephemeria and bits

I just love the French General https://www.frenchgeneral.com/
it has the most lovely bits and pieces for making those super special antique pieces of art.
Such as this divine old crown, how delicate and beautiful is this?
The website is so inspirational and even if I can not always get my hands on the items I am drooling over it is often enough impetus for me to get on with an idea, to go away and sketch and think and play with ideas that are directly developed from lovely bits and pieces off the website.
I long for the opportunity to shop in America, they seem to have a never ending supply of interesting things. We are so young in Australia that we don't have the history nor the items so abundantly and it is a constant struggle to find materials that inspire and that a worthy of art. I am not complaining because truth be told, it makes you work harder to find things to play with. The Internet has brought us all so much closer together
and availability of anything just a click and a credit card away. Which brings me to the issue of cost. How much is too much to spend on your passion, when in the end you may not sell an item? Do you have to sell an item to justify your craft/art. Does it also put too much pressure on an artist to make money. Do you work to pay for your craft or does your craft pay for itself??
I would love to know your answers on this so please leave me some feedback, and thanks for taking the time.